Monday, October 22, 2007

HW 23: "More World of Warcraft Players In America Than Farmers"

"With Apologies to Virginia Woolf."

As I browsed through my blogs this morning, I FANCIED one that I came upon at Instapundit, http://instapundit.com/, titled "There are more world of warcraft players in America than there are farmers" (Woolf 48). I found this post quite disturbing because I am a lady who is fond of the outdoors and taking long walks. It is absolutely ABSURD THAT ONE WOULD find more pleasure in sitting in front of the computer screen then taking advantage of a beautiful fall day (Woolf 58, 71). One comment posted about this DEPLORABLE fact of farmers and game players was of interest to me, "I grew up around farmers...we have once again arrived at a kind of Middle Ages society where the least paid are those who actually feed, clothe, and shelter us. I don't know how to grow a crop. If the whole economy crumbled, it wouldn't be like people would be coming to me to explain factor analysis or something" (Woolf 45, Armbruster 15). As this gentleman finely stated, this country would be in ruins if something tragic happened to our dear farmers. We would no longer be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor, which would severely damage our way of life. As such a vital part of our society, why, I ask, are there so few farmers? I WOULD VENTURE TO GUESS that the new generation of young people in this country are more drawn to playing with technology then get dirty in a corn field as a cow would (Woolf 49). BUT WHO CAN SAY this is what the future holds? (Woolf 49). FOR MY PART, I AGREE THAT unless all those computer people wake up one day and decide to work in the agricultural business, the United States is going to see a gradual decline in the population of farmers in the years to come (Woolf 48).

2 comments:

Tracy Mendham said...

Delightful!

james blake said...

Ya,this modern generation is more attracted towards technological advancements than the agriculture.But one thing is that this technological advancements will lead to more and more outcome in agriculture.........
==========================
james blake
WoW Gold