Wednesday, September 12, 2007

HW 6: Interest Statement for Semester-Long Project

Three social computing technologies that I find most interesting right now are blogs, online reputation economies, and social networking services. I have used blogs before this class and I also have read reviews on blogs on products that I would consider buying like my laptop. A lady that I know uses a online reputation economy, E-Bay, to sell items on this site that she buys from second hand stores like Good Will and The Salvation Army and she makes a good profit doing it. Another lady that I know uses a social network service like cupid.com for finding dates with guys online. This lady as of yet has been unsuccessful to find the man of her dreams.
Three kinds of empowerment of marginalized groups that I am most interested in finding out about right now are ageism, empowerment of working-class people, and issues with refugees. As a young 18-year-old woman, I am discriminated against because of my age. When I wanted to rent an apartment, most landlords wanted older tenants to occupy their establishments. My mother hasn't had health insurance in over 15 years because she is self-employed, and in some countries everyone has access to health care benefits regardless of their profession. At my high school in Portland, Maine, about half of my fellow peers where refugees from Somalia and Sudan.
Two geographical areas that I'd like to start looking at are Central America and the Middle East. I lived in Costa Rica for a month and completed 200 hours of community service there. I want to learn more about the Middle East because the area in general I don't know that much about and at this point in time it is a very important place. I believe that the more you know about a certain place the better you will understand it.

No comments: